Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Out with the old, in with the new.

A while ago my buddy John turned me on to non tourguard Panaracer Pasela 26x1.75 tires and while they are most excellent tires, I have not found them to be as durable as I'd like. Admittedly, I ride these tires in conditions they were never meant to be ridden in, and I'm sure my weight isn't helping with anything.  2200 miles, 250 pounds and a whole lot of rocky paths has left them with many gashes on the tan sidewall and yesterday while riding to return some DVDs I had a major rear tire blowout.

I managed to keep the bike upright but the poor girl I was trying to overtake when this happened just about had a heart attack. She screamed at the loud pop and asked me what had just happened. I explained what had happened and she told me she just about shit herself.

I knew that there were three tears in the sidewall but after the blowout I found a fourth. I wonder if the catastrophic loss of pressure had anything to do with the fourth.
This was the oldest tear that was patched inside and out and has managed to hold.
This was the second tear that I tried booting. It looks bigger than I ever remember it.

Third (Or fourth).
Fourth (Or Third).

 The fact that I will soon be commuting 11 miles each way to school in Vancouver from Portland each day really pushed me to start looking for some new tires. Living 1.5 miles away from Universal Cycles made it super easy to look up their inventory online, do their 30 second price match, and then go pick up my stuff at the store. Forty four dollars later I had a new set of tires in hand.

I have really been wanting to try out the Resist Nomad tires ever since I read a positive review of them a mailing list. The listed size is 26 x 2.25 and man are they ever so much bigger that the Paselas. I lucked out that when I had bought fenders for my trucker I got the big old 60mm Planet Bike ones that just barely fit these tires. Everything went together without a hitch though I did need to respace the fenders.

After a few quick trips to drop junk off at goodwill my initial impressions are quite positive. I will post more pics and a more detailed review after I have really put them through their pace.


I'm really digging the way these look. I feel like they really balance out the look of the bike.


3 comments:

  1. yeah! a tire post: strong start. I'm looking forward to hearing how those tires roll compared to our beloved Pasela's. That close up shot makes them look tuffy stiff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm already thinking they are much slower. Not turdy slow, but slower. Perceived effort is more. I need to fiddle with the air pressure and see if there is a sweet spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beer Bellied Beardcyclist lives! Righteous.

    Your proximity to Universal Cycles and the whole 30 second price match gig has me a little jealous. Okay, seething with envy.

    ReplyDelete